Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Teaching and Scouting, What????

Well, today was yet another amazing day for the world of teaching and scouting....An odd combination.  We visited the Red Rose School again to see the great children in session.  It was wonderful.  The kids are amazing and very excited about learning.  Margaret and I are going to be doing work there a few times next week in the mornings.  The one thing I have to say is teaching is hard work.  I cannot image teaching 8 classes a day times 5.  Wow, overwhelming with the amount of prep, attention  and patience needed.  

We had lunch again at Nairobi Java and off to the school....We had a productive day and most of our lecture curriculum has been completed and we are now into studio.  The artist/art work that we have shared with the students have clicked and they are getting it and able to tell about it.  40 students over the next week need to tell us about the top 20 from the 2 classes and 2 are researching Socrates, because we shared the painting, DEATH OF SOCRATES, by David with them.  Today is Thursday and we will have mostly studio starting today,  They really do well when they are drawing.  Tomorrow is a when we start painting and today, cameras get distributed to leads and they have a responsibility to make sure that they get all people involved in there team.  The first photos come back tomorrow.  We are excited.

Well, I am sure that you ask Why scouting.  Well on the way in and out of kibera, there is a Kenyan Scout center as the founder of the scouts in the US started the scouts here and loved Kenya so much that we wanted to be buried here and rests in Nyeri.  Well, I was a Scout, I only made it to Star and Margaret was a Girl Scout and she is definitely a more prepared person and it shows.  Scouts did her well.  So yesterday I said to Franco, do you think we can stop so I can get a badge that says Nairobi?, we did and oh my God.   Well they were having Moot Scout week where all of East African Scouts come together to do moot practice scouting, learning, etc and the Director in Nairobi and The Special Programme Commissioner were here, I walked in, asked for a badge, the called the director and it was history.  He had us in his office, the commisioner was so impressed that we would stop by that they made an immediate ceremony to make us the highest honor adult scouts possible, The Rovers, we were presented with Scarves in a ceremonial fashion, it got video taped and photographed, the made both Franco and David, world scouts, we all got badges and we brought around the whole camp to meet people and be presented to.  I was in shock.  All I wanted for Margaret and I was badges and we got so much more.  It is nice that people are so open to us.  They have asked us to come back any time and that it was luck that we were in town to be able to become official kenyan scouts which here is both boys and girls, they do not have a seperate organization based on gender.  They do lots of out reach and education on equality, hiv/aids, testing was being done while we were there and there was a magnet theatre group acting out information and education on AIDS/HIV and transmission and trying to breakdown the myths.  So impressive.  Who knew that Margaret and I would belong to the Kenyan Scout association??????

I hope all is well and I will write again tomorrow.  

Charles and Margeret


4 comments:

cs said...

This is such a charming story! What a great way to start my morning... thank you for offering such detail, and I can't wait to see your pictures. It is exciting to follow your progress in Kenya this way.

Carole (who blogs as The Book Blogger) Sargent

Rachel G said...

I can't stop smiling. What a great story. A typical, extraordinary adventure in the life of Charles DeSantis and Margaret Halpin. I can't wait to see the photos.

Keep up the wonderful work. It sounds like each moment holds a blessing.

xo,
Rachel Bridges

EC said...

Its the unexpected situations/events like your story that make traveling and working away from home so special. Thanks for sharing the story with us. And, at least for me (can't speak for the other bloggers), but you have provided me with a new nickname for you-- Rover.

Looking foward to reading more entries and seeing you when you get back.

Elliott

Unknown said...

I'm having a hard time imagining calling Margaret "Rover."